Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Painted Sky

Recently Jameson celebrated the 5th anniversary of his birth. He was wearing one of my sweatshirts last night and said that he was "practicing to be a big kid". I suppose that makes sense - now that he's five years old. However, he's still a sweet little boy to me; evidenced by some of his endearing and deeply moving comments of late.

As we drove to his Papa's house early on the morning of March 1st, we both marvelled at the beautiful sky. It was so richly hued and stunning, and the air was crisp and white. Jameson turned to me in the car and said, "Mom, I think that Jesus and Nana painted that sky for my birthday." I was instantly touched and humbled by my child's view of Heaven, and who is waiting there for us.



Yesterday I received a phone call at work from Papa Grand and Jameson. They were out walking in the woods with the dogs and were very excited about the many garter snakes that they found. It was a temperate, sunny day, and the little snakes were just coming out to sun themselves in this tentative Michigan spring weather.


Apparently there were several snakes all huddled together. Jameson said, "Mom, they must all have been brothers and sisters, because they were all snuggling together." As soon as I got to Papa's house we had to go out and see all the snakes; we looked for clues of their existence, bombed around the leaves together, and even found a baby garter heading for home.

I'm sure that many of you can understand that sometimes Jameson gets on my nerves. Sometimes I have to send him to his room or send myself because I'm so frustrated with him. Sometimes, though, I get stolen moments like the two I've just described. At those moments I realize that there is absolutely no way I could love that kid any more, because he's taken up the whole of my heart.

No comments: